I’ve mentioned Actifio in the past (Actifio Blog) and how their copy data virtualization solution is essential to pretty much every company in business today. Well, their solution just got 10x better with their addition of Actifio Sky. Actifio Sky is a Virtual appliance version of actifio’s data virtualization platform. The new offering will extend the functionality of Actifio CDS, making a virtual instance of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology available wherever application data may reside, from the data center core to the public cloud.
To really understand how exciting Actifio Sky is, you have to understand how important Actifio’s technology is to begin with. Actifio’s copy data virtualization platform solves so many of today’s enterprise problems by simply replacing a complex tangle of siloed storage and data management systems (all creating copies of the same production data) with a single solution that lets customers:
– Capture data from production applications according to an SLA that can be defined in just a few clicks and changed anytime
– Manage the lifecycle of that data in the most efficient way through the creation of a single “golden master” that can be stored anywhere and updated incrementally forever, and
– Use that data to spin up an unlimited number of virtual copies for any use, anytime, anywhere.
Oh and did I mention that it will save you money? Since you aren’t storing 100000 copies of the same data, Actifio will help drive down your costs while increasing performance and availability.
Actifio Sky offers a new level of deployment flexibility and range, enabling seamless data management wherever the enterprise data is located to improve data protection, governance, and analytics. Sky will be offered first for Remote/Branch Offices and a Cloud deployment option for businesses looking to shift enterprise workloads into the cloud. Together with Actifio’s CDS data center appliance, Actifio Sky will eliminate barriers to data mobility between the edge to the core, enabling transformational data management velocity and scale across the enterprise.
Actifio Sky’s capabilities now include:
- Easy Download and Deploy with a consumer-grade User Interface delivering an intuitive, point-and-click data management delivering faster time to productivity
- Application-centric, SLA-based management for powerful remote data protection and disaster recovery for applications
- Rapid recovery from remote site failure, centrally, or into the cloud
- The ability to vault data directly to public cloud storage services including Amazon™Web Services
- Patented Dedup-Async Replication™for network-optimized data replication and space efficiency through Direct-to-DeDup storage
So really why is this so exciting?
Did you know that over two-thirds of storage capacity is being used to store copies of data, rather than production originals ?? There are copies for data protection, copies for business continuity, another for disaster recovery, more for analysis, archiving etc. etc. Organizations today have reached the point where they are spending more to manage copies of their “stuff” than they are to manage their actual “stuff” !!!!! Now that is simply outrageous! Simply put, Actifio virtualizes data as other technologies have virtualized compute and networking. This in turn decouples the management of increasingly strategic enterprise data from increasingly commoditized enterprise infrastructure. Actifio sky will be able to provide you with the capability to capture, manage and use data for multiple use cases no matter where its stored , and that is just the first step in Actifio’s vision for “Actifio Anywhere.”